Ciutadella to Cala Trebeujer

9th July 2016


At 1015, which seemed to be becoming our habitual departure time, we left our berth in Ciutadella and moved to the refuelling berth a little way down the Cala. The tanks took 113 Litres of diesel after our marathon run from Calpe and there wasn’t a lot left.

We then made our way down the Cala to encounter a force 4 to 5 breeze blowing in the open water (Calas are small bays or inlets that can be either wide beaches or narrow coves).  Unfortunately, Claire started to feel unwell as it seemed that she is very prone to motion sickness, which did not bode well for the next few days. The wind held and we were able to sail at over 7kts for most of the way to our chosen anchorage, Cala Trebeújer.

This turned out to be a medium sized bay bordered by rocky cliffs, but with a beach at its head and a stream running into the northwest corner. All very pretty. There were quite a few boats there already so we had to anchor a little further out than we would have preferred but we were still in a safe and secure spot.

Cala Trebeujer


As Claire was still feeling rough we inflated the tender, plonked the outboard motor on the back and I ferried Sarah and Claire to the beach where they spent the afternoon. Returning to the boat Jac and I went for a swim in the clear, warm water and spent the afternoon lazing in the sun. It’s a tough life at sea. Later Jac swam to the beach and back again to make sure Sarah and Claire were ok and I then ferried them some more drinks in the tender to stock up their supplies. Jac reported that the beach was full of nudists, a fact I could confirm, as the chap on the French boat anchored closer in had been walking around all day with no clothes on. In just a pair of shorts I was feeling overdressed.

The Beach, Cala Trebeujer


Although the wind was quite light as the afternoon wore on the swell increased making Synergy move around quite a lot. Collecting the girls from the beach, Claire’s Mal de Mer returned and she was later violently ill. Sarah magnificently did a clean up job. What a great pal!

It wasn’t the most comfortable of nights and I was concerned that a late arriving American boat might drag her anchor and hit us, so I spent part of the night on deck. However, the day dawned with all the anchored boats pretty much where they had been the previous evening, despite the wind having moved almost right around the clock.



Author: chrisgowers

Retired pilot now sailing around the Mediterranean accompanied by my wife Jacquie.

%d bloggers like this: